Wednesday, April 30, 2008

1 Corinthians 13:1-7

Whenever this verse is quoted, it is always in the context of some cheesy card about "lurve" or a cliched wedding verse. But no one ever talks about how DIFFICULT it is to love ANYONE that way. Every word, every verse, so carelessly thrown about by people who use it as a nice and fuzzy bible verse about love, do not know the cross that is behind each painstaking word.

Love is patient, love is kind.
(Patience, to wait for change, to wait for healing, to wait for issues to be sorted. Kindness, for gentleness, for compassion, in refusing meanness.)

It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
(It does not envy: to be contented, to refrain from comparing It is not proud: to boast of the self)

It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.
(Not self-seeking: seeking to put others first.
Not easily angered: to see the best in others, to give grace, to forgive.
Keeps no record of wrongs: to forgive, and to forget.)

Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
(To always rejoice in what is right.)

It always protects,
(at the expanse of self, putting others first)

always trusts,
(always ready to trust again)

always hopes,
(always ready to hope and not become distrustful or cynical)

always perseveres.
(always try to understand, to forgive, to love, again and again. Not giving up.)

1 Comments:

Blogger zac said...

Hello. I read some stuff you wrote. And, well, I agree. But I realised that I haven't exactly been living how God wants me to. So this is like a timely reminder. Especially about what you said in response to people who asked why you only wrote about God. It is true that we should really be amazed all over and over again cause God would come down for us and save us and stuff. I have really overlooked that of late, blogging about unimportant matters of this world. Okay, sorry I'm like pouring everything out here. Anyway you can see my blog if you want, godhasremembered.blogspot.com. Zachary.

11:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home